9. Pretzels—Here’s a great staple for party snacks. While they aren’t particularly fancy, everyone loves to have something salty to munch on and pretzels really hit the spot. Plus, they come in all varieties. Soft pretzels are big attractions at fairs and ballgames. You can even grab a sweet pretzel at Annie’s Pretzels in the mall if you’re looking for a dessert pretzel. All around a great snack choice.
8. Gummy Bears—These little guys have become all the rage at candy stores. There is just something about the consistency that is satisfying. It’s a good mid-afternoon pick me up, and if you like to chew this is about as good as it gets.
7. Almonds—If you’re going to go nuts, go almonds. It’s an easy healthy snack. I always put a little Baggie of almonds in my bag since you never know when you might be stuck in traffic or a meeting that never ends and you need a little something to get by. Almonds are a joy, which is why they make the best candy bar, too!
6. Chocolate—Speaking of candy bars, chocolate has to make the list of best snacks. So many people love chocolate that it takes on every form imaginable. Dark chocolate is best for you and pretty tasty if you pair it with peanut butter (otherwise I think it’s a little bitter). White chocolate is a little too sweet for my taste buds as I tend to lean salty instead of sweet (I’m sure everyone will be quite shocked by that news). It’s hard to top chocolate cake with milk or hot cocoa on a very cold day.
5. Chips and Salsa. Sometimes you just crave chips and salsa and absolutely nothing else will do. Sit in front of a basket of chips with some salsa and it’s tempting not to eat it all. Admit it, we’ve all been there. The variations of chips are huge as well as salsa. I like mine spicy and fresh. Ahhh . . . might just have to have Mexican food tonight!
4. Crudité—Maybe it’s not on everyone’s list, but when there is a party table full of delicious tasting junk food, it’s still nice to have the option of those raw vegetables and a few great dips. These trays have probably saved me a couple of extra pounds at every Super Bowl party I’ve ever attended.
3. Bananas—These potassium plus snacks taste great, and they’re good for you when you’re feeling sluggish. You can just throw them in your bag if it’s big enough as long as you don’t throw them too hard. You can even toss in a few almonds with them for a combination that will help get you through the day.
2. Bread & Crackers—I admit it. Bread is my Kryptonite. It doesn’t matter the form. Crackers, croissants, rolls, or bread sticks. When it comes to bread, it doesn’t matter. At dinner, you’d never find me choosing dessert over bread. I might even pass on the main course if forced to make that choice.
1. Popcorn—In honor of Popcorn Lovers Day, popcorn gets the number one slot today. Even though bread is tastier overall, popcorn is a better snack overall. In fact, it’s a healthier alternative to bread which is why I eat lots of it. I buy all different brands. Microwave, stove top, healthy, butter, light butter, whatever variation I love it. I am always picking out and trying new brands, but my clear favorite is the one started by the great Hoosier, Orville Redenbacher. Born in Brazil, Indiana, this brand of popcorn is consistent and darn tasty. On average, I pop popcorn at least 3-4 nights a week. It’s definitely #1 in my book. Paul likes it, too. So tonight maybe you should give popcorn a try while you’re watching Jeopardy. It’s a healthy delicious snack, and if you’re going to enjoy it, today is definitely the day. Even though there is certainly more than corn in Indiana, it’s the birthplace of popcorn which makes this snack special in my book.